Last week I participated in a Biannual Blogathon Bash. It began on Friday, January 25 and ended at 8 am EST January 28th. The point of the Blogathon is to catch up on some much needed work, but with very specific goals. Also, along the way there are mini challenges. All of the challenges are designed to help you learn something new that can be applied to your blog.
Going into the Blogathon, I had some pretty hefty goals. I was drastically behind on work and also had been wanting to work on some backend organization on my site and be more organized in general.
Here were the goals I laid out in my Catching Up and Getting Ahead kick-off post.
- Plan my Editorial Calendar for the month of February.
- Write the three posts that are planned for this weekend, plus write and schedule at least two for next week.
- Work on putting all of my old posts in the correct categories.
- Tag old posts properly.
- Enter as many Blogathon mini challenges as possible.
Here is what I actually accomplished:
- I did not plan my editorial calendar for the month of February; however, I did for the first week of February. Also, through one of the mini challenges I participated in, I printed off, tabbed and put in a 3-ring binder an organizational binder. There are some awesome categories in this notebook that will really help me now and throughout the years to keep track of money spent, income, items I have arranged to review, giveaways I have signed up for, among other things.
- I did not write as much as I planned, but I did complete five posts for the weekend. Plus, for my VA job I planned two post topics plus wrote/scheduled one of those posts.
- I went through a fantastic mini challenge on how to cleanup the back-end of your blog. This is exactly what I needed to for categorizing all of my old posts correctly, getting rid of categories I do not need, and cleaning up the categories I do have. This is a HUGE job! I did start to work on this one, but it is way too much for one weekend. This is one that I will continue to work on a little at a time. It is great to learn how to do this correctly, and it does feel great to get started on this.
- I did start to correctly tag posts while I was cleaning up my “back-end”. 🙂 This is one that I will continue to work on with the categorizing.
- Of the fifteen viable mini challenges that were available I completed nine of them! I loved the mini challenges. There is always so much to learn! I still plan on going back and doing the other mini challenges that I did not do.
I absolutely loved doing this Blogathon. I felt I got so much accomplished and learned so much! Would you like to try a Blogathon? I would love for you to join me in the next one, which will be June 21 – 24, 2013! In order not to miss the sign-up and details, be sure to visit Biannual Blogathon Bash and sign up for the newsletter.