Have you ever considered making your house into a haunted house? If you are looking for some spooky Halloween Haunted House ideas, you’ve come to the right place!
Halloween Haunted House Ideas
First you have to decide on a theme for your haunted house. This will have a direct impact on decorations and costumes.
Some theme ideas and appropriate decorations include:
- Prison – You can do this by making the rooms along your hallway into prison cells. In order to make prison doors and walls, mount the ends of wooden dowels on strips of wood, then spray paint gray.
- Hospital – Wear a white doctor’s coat with fake blood smeared on it and hang a stethoscope around your neck. Then make one of your bedrooms into an operating room.
- Graveyard – Create tombstones by using plywood and stone spray paint. You can also make your front door look like a wrought iron gate.
- Mad Scientist’s Lab – Create this look by wearing a lab coat spattered with fake blood. Then add creepy specimen jars using plastic and rubber “critters” submerged in clear jars. Lastly, fill jars with colored water.
- Morgue – Get creative by creating coffins out of some some cardboard or plywood. For the coffin interior, use red velvet the liner. You can then add stuffed clothing to make “bodies”. For the head, use a scary mask or skull for a head. You can also make mummies to put into the coffins. The mummy body can be created by putting crumpled newspaper together in a body shape using masking tape, then wrap with toilet paper or gauze. Don’t bother making separate legs since they will be wrapped together.
- Circus – This theme gives you a ton of leeway. Think creepy clowns and freak show things that go with haunted circuses. You may want to be the frightful ring master as the host or hostess. If you have a pet who doesn’t mind being dressed up, you can have an animal participant.
- Maze – This one may be a little more tricky. However, for this theme drape black cloth over plywood pieces to create a maze through your house. You can then incorporate scary scenes throughout, and station people (or yourself) at various places to jump out and scare people, or slip out and silently follow them.
Other Halloween Decor Ideas
2. Rotten Walls
Get large sheets of cardboard and paint them to look like rotten walls with peeling paint, or stained cement.
Put glow sticks in jack-o-lanterns for safety and for a colorful, ghoulish glow. Place them around your house, in the windows, and on the front porch.
Make sure your rooms have lots of fake cobwebs in the corners.
5. Bathtub Horrors
Put a fake body in your bathtub with fake blood splattered about to startle party goers when they head to the bathroom.
In all of these decoration ideas, white light or even strobe lighting is a must.
Did this help get your creative juices flowing? I’d love to hear your spooky haunted house ideas!
Don’t miss out on tips and ramblings from A Mom Having Fun (AMHF)! Subscribe to receive me in your inbox.